June 25, 2011

Game Over: Final Thoughts on Game Dev Story (iPhone/iPod)

Game Dev Story is a management type game not unlike Diner Dash and its ilk. The game is as meta as it can get: you are the head of a videogaming company and it's your task to create blockbuster games for the console of your choice from many available genres and themes using a pool of different types of developers which you can train in many different ways.


Code Monkeys!


So, for instance, you can have Walt Sidney, a producer, write the story for the sequel for your runaway monster-themed card-game-based hit DigiPoke and release it for the Intendro Whoops. Get it?


Blockbuster in the making

If you're a fan of this genre, you should. I bought it for $2 and felt like I didn't pay remotely enough for the gaming giddiness it delivered for more than a week. Until the wee hours of the morning. And the first thing in the morning. And during office lunch break. And even while I was at Montemar Beach Resort. Game Dev Story is the major reason why I haven't updated this blog in a bit.


He's on fiiiire!

The tons of pop and videogame culture references is the primary component of the charm in this game. I don't want to ruin the fun anymore in case you want to see for yourselves, but here's one tiny peak: last year's game of the year (which unfortunately wasn't mine):


Sergio is a mustache-less Latino with a talking dog, I bet

I have a couple of minor complaints, such as the lack of a skip button to some of the repetitive animations and the lacking randomness of game console release schedules and popularities, but I guess they need to have something to improve on for the sequel, no?

Game Dev Story was the sole reason why I was even thinking of buying an iPod Touch. This game was also my sole AppStore game for my iPod Touch's first week of existence. And it did not disappoint. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment