July 9, 2011

One Small Turn-Based Step: Initial Impressions on Undercroft (iPhone/iPod)

The first "big" PC game I've ever played was SSI's Eye of the Beholder 2, a turn-based-ish, first-person, party-based role-playing game. Wow, that's a lot of hyphens.

The game was my gateway drug to the wonderful world of computer RPGs, and I am eternally grateful.


Shield and dagger? Seriously?

Undercroft is a free turn-based, first-person, party-based role-playing game available in the AppStore. I couldn't resist replaying one of my most favorite games of all time on the go. And did I mention it's free?




Who's afraid?

Graphically, the game is nothing to write about. Gameplay-wise, it's as old-school computer RPG as it gets but updated to the modern era. You move around a map square by square, and in combat, your four party members, from five possible classes, gets a turn per round, whether to use their weapon, cast a spell, etc. One thing I don't miss about computer RPGs of old: the lack of quest logs and automaps. Thank goodness Undercroft does away with those traditions.


C-c-c-c-can I int-t-t-terest you on anyt-t-t-t-thing?

If you're a big fan of old-school computer role-playing games, Undercroft will surely not disappoint. For the rest of you, it's free, so it won't hurt to try, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment