August 27, 2011

One Small Step - Initial Impressions on Rift (Finally!) PC

Rift is celebrating its 6th monthsary by opening the game for free until August 31.

Like the martyr that I am, I again tried to download the 9GB game. Who knew that I shouldn't have clicked the "Recover" button in the download client and instead click on the "Update" button to continue an interrupted download?

So four time's a charm, and I'm glad I've been persistent.


Finally!

I've never been as engrossed in an MMORPG not named "World of Warcraft" as I am with Rift.

The game is very, very polished, the UI clean, and my rig's performance smooth most of the time, stuttering only when there are lots of things going on like in rift openings.

Speaking of which, these random, public, group events breathe new life in my MMO experience. Being able to jump in and out into these series of group quests, with rewards proportional to your effort, is something I haven't experienced in any other MMO I've played, besides the slideshow-y Champions Online, but that's another story.

Although the game only offers you a choice of four classes (warrior, mage, cleric, rogue), each of these classes have 8 souls/talent trees which you can combine in any way you want, giving you practically limitless possibilities.

Rift borrowed from World of Warcraft. A lot. That fact doesn't hinder from the game actually being enjoyable. It may not offer much in innovation, but it offers a lot in refinements.

Right now, I'm leaning on subscribing after the free days are over. I am enjoying the game that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment