August 7, 2011

Repost: Puzzle Agent (PC) Review

As preparation for my upcoming review of Puzzle Agent 2, I'm reposting my review-of-sorts of the first game from my now defunct blog of negativity and snarkiness. Originally posted 02/11/2011

---

Be very afraid!

Agent Tethers of the FBI's Department of Puzzle Research or something to that effect is tasked to get to the bottom of the sudden halt in production of an eraser factory in the middle of nowhere in Minessotta. Minnesotta. Minnessotta. Oh to heck with the spelling.



Reklamo #1: Extremely Puzzling - Puzzle Agent is a puzzle adventure game not unlike the Professor Layton series. While the story had me hooked, the puzzles ranged from the "are you kidding me?" easy to the "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" annoying and not a lot in the middle of that spectrum. Some of the puzzles are described rather vaguely as well. Thank goodness for the hint system, which would often solve you the puzzle after only two hints.

Speaking of the hint system...

Reklamo #2: Sticky Situation - Agent Tethers needs chewing gum to get his noggins working. The middle of nowhere Minne..., Miness..., MN has not had a supply of gum in two months. There are tons of used pink and green chewing gum stuck everywhere in the game.

Ewwwww.

Reklamo #3: Short and Sw - Capitalism at work. The story left me hanging in the end after getting me all curious about the paranormal freakiness that I certainly wasn't expecting. They probably planned this game to be episodic but the initial high price probably stopped most of the people from getting interested.


Excellent storytelling, mediocre puzzles. The pencil-style art is charming but the choppiness of the "framerate" is not as welcome. The music is not that memorable but it certainly helps set the mood.

I would definitely get the next installment, if it ever comes out, AND for a reasonable price. It would be a shame if it never does.

No comments:

Post a Comment