April 16, 2011

One Small Step - Initial impressions on Infinite Space (DS)

After languishing shrink-wrapped in my cabinet for almost a year, my failed attempt to renew my driver's license has given me a reason to finally start playing Sega's sci-fi Nintendo DS RPG, Infinite Space. I was initially interested in the rave reviews for this no-name game. I've always been a fan of RPGs and my sci-fi craving hasn't been sated since the quite unmemorable Galactic Civilizations 2 so why not, right?

I've logged in a bit over two hours now on the game and within those 2 hours, I have died around 15 times already. This game is friggin' ruthless. Combat is like bato-bato-pik with the only strategy that I could muster as of this moment is planning when to go in or out of weapon range. And then it throws unescapable encounters at me. Funny that the game does that when my fleet's hit points are at critical levels. Hmm.

The game's UI is a bit clunky as well. Not only does it throw numbers and choices at you with nary an explanation of what they are, the whole thing is just slow. Having to confirm almost every darn action with fleet customization takes the fun out of what I feel is the essential part of the game. Saving also takes a good 5 or so seconds, and you really need to save a lot.

Those aside, I'm still willing to give this game a try. Some people have compared this to a space opera, and I could actually see glimpses of that 2 hours in. The story is unassuming so far and promises a bit of depth.

Customization is also fun, from changing your ships' attached modules and weapons, to crew assignments. I just wish these were explained better with tool tips and the like.

Right now, I'm reluctant to suggest this to any but the most starved roleplaying gamers for a try. Let's see if delving into it a bit more will change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment