May 7, 2011

IGN + 1UP = ?

I really do not know. And hold me, I'm scared.

The two biggest videogaming websites have joined forces/merged/swallowed each other up.


I remember back in my Makati commuting days, I would load my trusty iPod Nano with a lot of gaming-related podcasts, most of which came from those two. My two hours of commute everyday for 4 years is a lot of podcast listening time. On the one hand, I have learned to love 1UP's selections, from the PC gaming gookiness of the Brodeo, to Jeremy Parish's nostalgic Retronauts, to the nerdiness of the RPG-centric Active Time Babble. On the other, IGN's offerings ranged from the meh PC-focused Command Prompt, to the incomprehensible shouting matches of Podcast Beyond, their all-Sony podcast, to the rather redundant general podcast Game Scoop!

Just the thought of having some of the best, but admittedly dwindling, podcast personalities of 1UP being joined by the mostly man-babies in IGN makes me a sad panda.


I don't want to hear Greg Miller shout in my 1UP Podcasts :(

On the website side, IGN is a bit better. 1UP, despite its countless redesigns, has never managed to make their website load fast for some reason. IGN's network of content is vast compared to 1UP's, with the IGN's RPG Vault, with its endless modules and addons for some of my favorite games, being my go-to site.

Of course, this is a good thing for both companies, probably a better deal for 1UP, being the smaller of the two. On the website side, at least, pooling resources together is not a bad thing at all.

For the videogamers, however, it might not be as good. Multiple opinions are always wonderful, whether dissenting or not, and losing one, and a major, major one at that, is always a loss. While we have no details yet on how the merger will affect the everyday business of the two companies, we can only sit tight and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment